- women have only been considered persons since 1930;
- women have only had the vote in Quebec since 1949;
- in 1968 it became illegal for a husband to beat his wife;
- in the 1970s, women had to have a male family member co-sign loan and credit-card applications; and
- in 1983, rape within a marriage became illegal in Canada
When Canada leaves the region, it is imperative that we not forget these women and their supporters. Women's rights are human rights.
The Globe and Mail ran a good piece on April 18 that's worth a read:"Plight of Afghan women prompts fresh debate over war," by Sandra Martin.